Copulative verbs refer to verbs that do not communicate an action like most of them, rather they aim to connect the subject with an attribute, answering the question of how they are or how they are at a certain moment. It should be noted that there are only 3: to be, to be and to seem, which are part of the attributive sentences, which in turn are formed by a noun , a linking verb and an attribute.
If a linking verb appears in the sentence, the predicate is not verbal but nominal , basically because the verb does not inform about the verbal action but rather gives extra information about the subject in question.
Examples of linking verbs in the present
|Me||Am||Am||I look like|
|Us||Are||We are||we seem|
|You||You are||you are||you seem|
|They||Are||Is it so||They look like|
Examples of linking verbs in the past
|Me||It was||I was||Looked like|
|You||Ages||you were||you seemed|
|The||It was||I was||Looked like|
|Us||We were||we were||we seemed|
|You||you were||were you||you seemed|
|They||Were||They were||they seemed|
Examples of linking verbs in the future
|Me||I will be||I will be||I will seem|
|You||You will||you will be||you will seem|
|The||Will be||Will be||will seem|
|Us||we will be||We will be||We will seem|
|You||you will be||you will be||You will seem|
|They||will be||they will be||They will seem|
Examples of sentences with linking verbs
- The University costume party will be excellent.
- The mountain has been empty for a few days.
- The sportswear was totally wet from the rain.
- That mare is old and a little sick.
- Your uncles will be very tired from the car trip.
- Look closely, Lucas looks a lot like his cousin Alberto.
- The patients in this hospital are very well cared for.
- As a child, Mari Ángeles was very chubby.
- The flowers in the garden look like daisies and gardenias.
- Your cousins Juan and Miguel are good students.
- Physics and Chemistry exercises seem very difficult.
- “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” is very good.
- Your sister Michelle looks like a model from NY.
- In that hard time I was also a soldier.
- The berry tart seemed much tastier.
- Ander, Guzmán and Polo are very good friends.
- The parody from a while ago was very entertaining.
- Next to you I was just another salaried worker.
- Clear hearing aids are for deafness.
- Unfortunately our brothers are unemployed.
- After the accident the car is totally broken.
- The English exam looks like it will be easy.
- The spotlights of the play look like a rainbow.
- The workers in this store are really young.
- The keyboard is broken because of Juan José.
- He didn’t go to the party because he had a high fever.
- My mother was very happy for the birth of Juliet.
- When we finish the work it will be excellent.
- The students are very nervous about the exam.
- The company meeting will be in the boss’s office.