This concept has several meanings and one of them is the auxiliary orthographic sign , which is written in the form of a horizontal stroke that can have design variations depending on the typography and is classified as medium (-), long (—) or bass (_). This type of sign has different functions in a text, the most common being to link two different words or separate words into syllables.
It also has other functions and they are the following:
- Simulate a stutter in a movie script.
- In nouns composed by apposition.
- In a dialogue from a book or movie script.
- Indicate clarifications or comments in a text.
Dialogue script example
– Good morning Robbe!
– Good morning, I’m very sleepy.
– Do you want to have some pancakes for breakfast with us?
– Yes, but first I want to call my boyfriend who is sick.
– We wait for you in the kitchen that are freshly made.
– Now I’ll go right away and tell me how the party was.
– I’m just telling you that I met a boy named Senne who is very nice and kind.
Explanatory script examples
- Juan Carlos’s cousin — the one who studies medicine at the Complutense University — invited us to his house for a barbecue.
- If you need much more information on this subject and others — even in English, German or Italian — don’t hesitate to go for more books at the library of the civic center in your neighborhood.
- If you want to get to know Berlin — the capital of Germany and one of the cities with the most history — don’t hesitate to visit the Cathedral, the Parliament and Unter den Linden .
Word hyphenation examples
In this case, it is used to divide those words that do not fit completely at the end of the line, so they have to be separated and written, in part, on the line below.
- Washing machine
- Spanish American
Examples of joining words and other elements
The script is used to join words and form all kinds of compound words , so when you see that punctuation mark you can understand that there is a semantic relationship between these elements, yes, both terms maintain their referential independence.
- A few days ago a new Statutes Reform of the Italian-Venezuelan Center was carried out.
- A City-State is a State with a single city and a small surrounding territory, with the Vatican City as an outstanding example.
- Before, on Antena 3, there was a very interesting series called “The Mystery of Calenda” in which there were werewolves.
- Today we have organized a workshop on challenges and trends in Hispanic-Mexican research at the Faculty of Information Sciences.
Examples of other uses of the hyphen
- Lionel Messi (Argentina, June 24, 1987-present) is the striker for Barcelona Football Club, best known worldwide for his style of play.
- I have never known how to solve quantum physics exercises, I confess that they have always been my greatest difficulty in high school.